Towns and Cities
A few more things you wish were still around in Hawaii.
Photo Credit: tikiroom.com
Coco’s Coffee House closed it’s doors on Aug. 31, 1986 after 26 years of business on the corner of Kapiolani and Kalakaua, it made way for a new business, The Hard Rock Cafe (moved to Beachwalk). Before Coco’s, The Kau Kau Korner was in that location. Coco’s was one of three Hawaiian-style coffee shops designed by the famous architect Pete Wimberly. The other two were Tops and Popo’s. What are some of your memories of Coco’s?
Photo Credit: Honolulu Magazine & Vic&Becky
The Kuhio Theater opened in 1946, in Waikiki, Honolulu. During the 1960’s, the Kuhio Theater featured road shows, and in October of 1966, the Hawaiian premiere of the movie “Hawaii”, based on the James Michener novel, was held at the theater. The Kuhio Theater was twinned in the 1980’s, and 70mm screening capabilities were removed. It could originally seat over 880. After it closed in the 1990’s, the twin was demolished in 1996 to make way for a new shopping center. (King Kalakaua Plaza) What are some of your memories of Kuhio Theater?
GEM, a membership retailer,changed the face of Hawaii’s retail scene. The Ward Avenue GEM opened in 1962. Honolulu Mayor Neal Blaisdell, Lt. Gov. James Kealoha and the Royal Hawaiian Band welcomed a crowd of 9,000 at its grand opening. The first store opened in 1958 on Dillingham Blvd. GEM had 6 stores in Hawaii including Kaneohe, Waipahu & stores in Hilo on the Big island and in Lihue on Kauai. All stores closed in 1993. Source: Hawaii News – Honolulu Star-Advertiser What are some of your memories of GEM?
- Free trolley to help with parking at Made in Hawaii Festival (bizjournals.com)
- A Little Hawaiian pizza to go with my Hawaiian sunset. #hawaii #honolulu #oahu #waikiki #pizza #hawaiian #sunset #myview #dinner #yummy (pizzaaa.com)
- My Oahu Top 10 List (girlmeetsworldblog.com)
Originally posted on WeHeartHawaii [lightbulbs]:
Well, it’s Throwback Thursday but instead of naming a song from back in the day, a photo or even a type of fashion, why not take it even deeper and take a trip down memory lane to the “good ol’ days”. What are some of those places or icons that you wish were still around in Hawaii today? Here are 12 that may strike a chord with you. Feel free to chime in and let me know what you wish were still around. Most of my memories are from Oahu and my Neighbor Island memories are lacking so please enlighten me!
1. Drive Inn Theaters.
At one time, Drive Inn Theaters scattered the state and became a popular regular weekend destination for island residents. Their demise began around the 80’s with a combination of commercial real estate for the valuable land that they were situated and the multiplex movie…
View original 515 more words
Image Posted on Updated on
Photo Credit: dumpaday.com
Fascinating views of our earth from the birds eye. More fascinating, interesting and funny pictures at dumpaday.com. What do you think of these views?
- Berkeley’s Official Bird – The Barn Owl (naturalhistorywanderings.com)
- Spiritual meaning of birds (ebloag.wordpress.com)
- Concerns raised over a number of dead birds in Bahrain (sott.net)
- “I Have No Birds!…Or Do I?!” (poetesswug-thewugsbackyardblogspot.blogspot.com)
- Birds Defeat Drone And Show They Rule The Sky (VIDEO) (mukeshbalani.wordpress.com)
- Books and Birds (whyjulesy.com)
- Birds of prey from centre near Berwick take part in photoshoot with Kate Moss (thejournal.co.uk)
- What are birds? (liveknowledgeworld.wordpress.com)
- Victoria firefighters put out fire after bird ignites on hydro pole (timescolonist.com)
- Angry Birds Go Hits the Play Store; Kart Racing Keeps The Birds Grounded (androidheadlines.com)
After the opening of now 4 new tunnels and the subsequent restructuring of the traffic flow at the triple intersection of Century Avenue, Pudong Avenue and Lujiazui Ring Road gave the city planners the opportunity to close one direction on Century Avenue and create a small “park in the middle of the roads“. A spectacular place you should visit in your life. What do you think?
Photo Credit: fantasticviewpoint.com
NEW On Keitochansays:
- Oil Pulling: Transform Your Health With An Ancient Ayurvedic Remedy
- Orange & Coconut Whipped Body Butter By Henry Happened; A Lifestyle Blog
- Laughter, Imagination, Dreams
- 10 Foods That Detoxify Your Mind & Body, Plus Things To Avoid
- What We Can Learn From Others
- Marshmallow Peep-Infused Vodka
- Thank You 300 WordPress Followers
- Champagne Backpacking in Shanghai (jimscown.wordpress.com)
- Panasonic compensates employees for bad China air (sacbee.com)
- Workers casually dismantle cranes used to build the Shanghai Tower a knee-wobbling 2,000ft up (dailymail.co.uk)