Maya Angelou’s Red Rice recipe is found in her wonderful cookbook Hallelujah! The Welcome Table: A Lifetime of Memories with Recipes which was published back in 2004. The cookbook is a stunning collaboration between the two things Miss Angelou loved best: writing and cooking.
- ½ pound thick sliced bacon
- 1 cup chopped onions
- ½ cup chopped red bell peppers
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 6-ounce can tomato paste
- Dash of freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 2 cups water
Directions: Fry the bacon up and then chop up the cooked bacon, leaving about 1 Tbs of grease in the pan. Add onions and peppers. Cover and cook for two to three minutes. Remove lid and add remaining ingredients; mix well. Bring to boil, about three minutes. Bring to a boil and cook 3-4 minutes. Stir, turn down the heat, cover and cook another 15 minutes until rice and liquid are totally mixed.
↝ Like the article? Please share on your social network.
You Might Also Like
- Maya Angelou’s Banana Pudding
- 20 Inspiring Quotes By Performer, Poet, Activist, Memoirist & Teacher, Maya Angelou
- Deliciously Decadent Banana Coconut Upside Down Cake
- Salted Caramel Apple Hand Pies
- Pumpkin Bread
Follow me on Twitter.
— Keitochan ケイト宮地 (@KeitochanSays) May 22, 2014